1. There is a truly spontaneous aspect to prayer; to some individuals prayer is the calm expression of gratitude; to others, a group expression of praise, social devotions; sometimes it is the imitation of another’s religion, while in true praying it is the sincere and trusting communication of the spiritual nature of the creature with the anywhere presence of the spirit of the Creator.
2. Talk things over with God in a purely personal way; refuse to abandon regular praying (talking with God); avoid praying only when under unusual pressure, in emergencies.
3. Prayer may be a spontaneous expression of God-consciousness or a meaningless recitation of theologic formulas.
4. Be unafraid to talk to God, but remember, only a child would undertake to persuade, or otherwise presume to change, God.
5. Genuine prayer adds to spiritual growth, modifies attitudes, and yields that satisfaction which comes from communion with divinity; it is a spontaneous outburst of God-consciousness.
6. God answers prayer by giving to you an increased revelation of truth, an enhanced appreciation of beauty, and an augmented concept of goodness.
7. Prayer is not a technique of escape from conflict but rather a stimulus to growth in the very face of conflict; pray only for values, not things; for growth, not gratification.
8. Words are irrelevant to prayer; they are merely the intellectual channel in which the river of spiritual supplication may chance to flow; the word value of a prayer is purely auto-suggestive in private devotions and socio-suggestive in group devotions; God answers the soul’s attitude, not the words.
9. Prayer is a subjective gesture, but it contacts with mighty objective realities on the spiritual levels of human experience; it is a meaningful reach by the human for superhuman values; it is the most potent spiritual-growth stimulus.
10. Do not be so slothful as to ask God to solve your difficulties, but never hesitate to ask Him for wisdom and spiritual strength to guide and sustain you while you yourself resolutely and courageously attack the problems at hand.
Free PDF Download: Holy Jesus Book
Amazon Kindle and Paperback Editions: Holy Jesus Book